Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Dumb is Forever

Long-time readers of this blog know that I'm a huge fan of Judge Judy. I keep a Sony Walkman in my desk at the university and, every day at 4:00 PM, I whip it out to listen to an hour of Judge Judy while I'm working. I'm so famous for my JJ addiction that, the other day, a secretary from another division called me and said, "Doctor T wants you to interview this candidate. I've shuffled the interviews around so you won't miss Judge Judy."

The judge has a few quotes she uses over and over. One of my favorites is "Beauty fades. Dumb is forever."

This post is in honor of Judge Judy.

Any writer who has been around for more than a week or two has heard of the list of the "Twenty Worst Literary Agents." I first encountered the list here in February of 2005, and it has been widely disseminated around the Internet as a warning to newbie writers of agents to avoid.

I've blogged repeatedly about two of those agents: Mark Sullivan and Barbara Bauer.

On June 1, 2007 here, I used Sullivan's website as an example of how to spot a literary scam.

Back in June of 2006, I did a post here titled "A Cautionary Tale" about Barbara Bauer.

In the years since 2006, I've written about Bauer several times, most recently here this last February when I asked readers to donate to Dave Kuzminski to help him fight the lawsuit Bauer brought against him and Preditors and Editors for defamation.

Even though the truth is a defense in such lawsuits, attorneys are still very, very expensive.

This morning, thanks to my good friend Michele Lee here, I learned that Dave Kuzminski wasn't the only person or website that Barbara Bauer sued.

According to a story in Monday's New Jersey Star-Ledger, Bauer filed suit against Wikipedia (!), the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and seventeen other "bloggers and website administrators."

Apparently Wikipedia is fighting back. According to the Star-Ledger story:

The two sides are scheduled to argue the motion before a Monmouth County judge Tuesday . . . Wikipedia's lawyers argued in court papers that the site is protected by a section of the federal Communications Decency Act that says the owners of interactive websites cannot be held liable for comments posted by their users.

If I had a bad reputation, I certainly wouldn't want to draw MORE publicity to it by suing Wikipedia and the SFWA! Hence the "dumb is forever" quote.

Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

Valintine Pawson said...

'Twas dismissed. :)