Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What Does Your E-mail Say About You?

Because I want to mention this while I'm thinking about it, you get two posts in one day.

A wannabe writer e-mailed me this week, complaining that she has had no takers on her e-mail queries. Not one. Nada. Zilch.

My first thought was that she'd probably not sent out enough queries yet. I asked how many she had e-mailed, expecting to offer a soothing response about it being a numbers game, and you need to get those queries out there. Instead, I was surprised by the number she cited, which was much higher than I'd expected. Much higher.

I sat there, trying to frame a helpful response like, "You might want to take another look at your query letter." That's when I saw her e-mail address.

I am changing the actual address to protect the innocent, but it was something like timmysmom@yahoo.com.

Everyone KNOWS this, but it bears repeating. Publishing is a business. When you send out e-mails to agents and publishers, you are sending out a business letter. You would never put "Timmy's Mom" at the top of your letterhead; don't put it in your e-mail. And, while I'm on the subject, this category includes cutesy e-mails like BobandSallyJones@yahoo.com. For heaven's sake, if you can't think of yourself as a single, independent individual, why should a prospective agent?

This doesn't mean you have to get rid of an e-mail address with which you identify. Just open a new one for your business correspondence.

I'm not saying this alone will prevent you from being taken seriously, but remember how important first impressions are. That e-mail name is the first thing an agent or publisher is going to see. Make it work for you, not against.

And, if your results aren't what you want, have someone you trust review your query letter. I'm assuming your sample chapters have already been vetted by a critique group.

P.S. Talked today with an old friend, who is Chief Financial Officer at a local university. We talked about this blog. She said that applicants to college as well as job applicants also need to heed this advice.

Applications which come from "hotgirl" and "bigdick" are not considered for either admission or employment at her school. If you don't display good judgment during the application process, what can a prospective employer/university expect from you later????

No comments: