Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Next Challenge

I said I'd talk about the couple of things that derailed me earlier this month.

The second thing that threw me off course started one morning while I was washing my face. My fingers brushed a rough spot on the left side of my nose. I picked up my magnifying mirror and squinted at the tiny area of skin. It was barely noticeable, but irregular in shape and scaly. "Oh-oh," I thought.

As I drove to work, I called my dermatologist's office to ask for an appointment. The scheduler said, "You're coming to see us in July. Can't this wait until then?"

"Nope," I said. "I want an appointment this week."

Begrudgingly, she gave me a time for the next morning.

My dermatologist took one look at the spot and called his nurse to assist in a biopsy.

A week later, the nurse called to say they'd be referring me to a surgeon for Mohs surgery. Since I practically have a surgeon on retainer these days, I had no trouble scheduling the surgery.

If you want to know what Mohs is, or what to look for when checking your skin, go here to read an earlier blog on the subject.

I've had multiple skin cancers (both basal and squamous) removed over the years. However, the time between them seems to be getting much shorter. I had a lesion removed in June, 2007 and another one excised sixteen months later in November, 2009. Now eighteen months later, I have a new basal cell cancer. I don't know if it was this lesion's prominent location on my face or the fact that this is the third Mohs surgery I'll have had in four years, but this one bushwhacked me. My anxiety climbed, and my mood tanked.

As usual when I'm feeling out of control, I went looking for a way to re-establish my equilibrium.

I found a solution. I'm pretty excited about it, and I'll tell you all about it on Saturday.

4 comments:

Lynne Connolly said...

All the best with your surgery, Maya. I missed you while you were away!

Maria Zannini said...

When are you going in? You know you can call me if you need a ride --or a slave for Bob.

Call me for anything.

Kaz Augustin said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Maya. And it's good to see you back. I'd just like to add, however, that pale skin isn't the only indicator for skin cancers. I've had an early-stage melanoma removed and I'm brown-skinned. I'm also watching a mole on my daughter's skin very closely as she's quite brown too. The skin, its hates usssssss.

Maya Reynolds said...

Lynne: You are always so kind. Thank you!

Maria: 9:15 on June 7. It's day surgery. A very long day surgery, but day surgery. Thanks for the offer.

Kaz: Of course, pale skin is not the only type susceptible to skin cancer. I'm so glad you are taking care of you and your daughter.