Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's That Time Of Year Again

Well, I'm irritated with myself.

On Monday morning, I'm leaving for Bethesda (Yes, AGAIN! I have three trips there this year). Trying to prepare for the journey, I selected three books to bring along--J.D. Robb's Strangers in Death; Mark Del Franco's Unshapely Things and John Connolly's The Unquiet.

I attended a party last night at the Dallas Police Association for a motorcycle cop friend of mine. Of course, the knowledge that a motorcycle cop had died that day saddened everyone, but it was too late to cancel the party.

When I got home I was too restless to write. I cruised the Internet and found reviews on Strangers in Death. Of course, that made me pick it up . . . just to take a peek . . . I finished it a little while ago.

So now I'm a book short for my trip. I guess I'll have to slip out of my meetings on Tuesday, find a bookstore and buy Kim Harrison's The Outlaw Demon Wails, which is due out that day.

Because I was reading Eve Dallas' latest outing, I didn't post for today yet. Guess it's time to try for my annual Guess the Oscars. Regular readers know it's more Who Maya Wants to Win than Guess the Oscars.

Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: I think Daniel Day Lewis is likely to get it for his scenery-chewing role in There Will Be Blood. My choice is Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises.

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: I think Javier Bardem will get the award for No Country For Old Men, and I fully support that choice.

Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: I'm torn between Julie Christie in Away from Her and Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose. I suspect the sentimental favorite will be Christie, and I think I agree.

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Cate Blanchett's gender-bending role as Bob Dylan in I’m Not There is the show-stopping one. However, my choice (and I think the Academy will agree based on her strong body of work) is Ruby Dee in American Gangster

Best Animated Feature Film: This is a tough one. Ratatouille was a crowd favorite. However I think Persepolis will appeal to the moral conscience of the Academy. I'm going with Persepolis.

Achievement in Art Direction: Another tough one. I was torn between Sweeney Todd, The Golden Compass and Atonement. I think I'm going with The Golden Compass.

Achievement in Cinematography: I'm torn between Atonement and There Will Be Blood. I'm going with There Will Be Blood because of the oil derrick fire.

Achievement in Costume Design: I have no idea who will get it, but I'm going with Sweeney Todd out of affection.

Achievement in Directing: No question in my mind. No Country For Old Men.

Best Documentary Feature: I suspect the Academy will choose Sicko. While I am not a particular fan of Michael Moore (I think he's dishonest in his filmmaking), as a film that made an impression, I'm going to go with it.

Best Motion Picture: I wouldn't be disappointed if Michael Clayton won, but I'm going with No Country For Old Men. Michael Clayton is beautifully executed, but the story is an old--somewhat tired--one.

Now we wait to see . . .

2 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

Bethesda Maryland?!
Hop and a skip from where I live!

We're in Dubai right now, but will be back mid June. If you have any trips after that, I'd be happy/thrilled to take you around!
:-)

Maya Reynolds said...

Christine: How kind you are!!

Yes, Bethesda, Maryland. That's where they keep the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

I think this year I'll be back in June and September.