Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Be Still My Beating Heart

While I was working on my post for tonight, the Tonight Show was on. Jay Leno's musical guests were Young at Heart, the elderly rock band featured in my post of Friday here.

Leno played a clip from the documentary about the group in which they were singing Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark.

I loved that song and the album from which it came: Born in the U.S.A.

I abandoned writing my post and went looking for a video of Young at Heart singing the song. Instead I found a video that The Boss made of the single back in 1984. It reminded me all over again why I liked the album . . . and him.

Dancing in the Dark was Springsteen's biggest hit from his biggest album. According to Wikipedia, Born in the U.S.A. "spawned a record-tying seven Top 10 hit singles in the United States, and is by far the best-selling album of Springsteen's career with over 15 million copies sold in the U.S. alone."

"Dancing in the Dark was Springsteen's biggest hit single, reaching #2 on the Billboard Hot 100."

So, go here for a blast from the past while I go back to finishing today's post. Pay attention to the girl Bruce pulls up on the stage at the end. It's a very young Courteney Cox.

2 comments:

Jen FitzGerald said...

Hey, Maya,

When I click play it says the video is no longer available. :(

Jen FitzGerald

Maya Reynolds said...

Thanks, Jen.

Apparently you have to watch this one on YouTube. I've changed the post to give you the link.