Saturday, June 28, 2008

What I Wanted

About six months ago, I saw a trailer for an upcoming film titled Wanted. I really liked the look of the movie and had been waiting for its 6/27 release ever since.

I noticed on Thursday that a number of theaters in the Dallas area were going to do a 12:01 AM showing on Friday morning. I canvassed all my friends and loved ones for someone to go with me. Facing the prospect of getting home at 3:00 AM and having to be at work five or six hours later, no one would bite. Not even my reliable movie pals for action flicks--like my middle brother or my motorcycle cop friend--would go along.

Undeterred, I decided to go alone. Well, not quite alone. I was accompanied by several hundred teenagers, all of whom had to be carded to get inside the theater.

The plotline of the film does not bear up under close examination. However the look and the stunts made up for what the story lacked. The special effects with bullets were reminiscent of Matrix. The FX with car chases alone was worth the price of the ticket.

This is not The Bourne Ultimatum. I won't go see it three times in the theater. In fact, I don't have a burning desire to see it even twice. But I'll probably watch it again when it hits the television screen.

Of course, I paid on Friday for staying up so late on Thursday night, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. By noon, I had shaken off the worst of the fuzziness. In fact, I left the university at 7:00 Friday night and went out to Campizi's for drinks and calamari with a friend.

Sometimes a girl just has to do what she's gotta do.

No comments: