Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Holidays

Hello, my dears.

I hope Santa was good to you.

More importantly, I hope you shared moments of grace and gratitude with those you love.

I was reminded this morning of how fortunate I am--even though at the moment I'm limping (another tumble on wet bricks last Thursday, the second fall I've taken in three months. This time, however, the doctor gave me an excuse--my center of gravity has shifted). So even that was a blessing. I don't need to feel quite as klutzy as two falls in twelve weeks would imply.

I am unbelievably blessed. I have people I love and who love me. I have work I find satisfying and for which I have some talent. I have an avocation--my writing--that engages both my mind and my heart.

I was thrilled by the outcome of last month's U.S. election. The first sentence of Obama's speech in Chicago inspired me as nothing has in the last eight years:
"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."
Of course, there is lots of uncertainly--both for us as citizens of the world and for me personally. Our economic situation is dicey, the political situation remains uneasy and many face tonight hungry, cold and without shelter.

I face surgery in the new year, but I have no reason to believe it won't be successful. I'm grateful medical science is confident it can help me.

No matter what your circumstance, I hope you are warm and safe and fed tonight. And I hope you have a reason to be optimistic as you face another year.

I wish for each of you health, happiness and hope.

With love,

Maya

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I, too, am blessed and grateful for shared laughter and love with family today. Merry Christmas from Maine!