Monday, February 14, 2011

Hey, Governor Perry!

I love Texas. I love the people, I love the friendliness, I love the place.

What I don't love about Texas are the knuckleheads the citizenry regularly elects as governors. I couldn't stand George W. Bush and feel the same way about the current guv, Rick Perry. Both men spent their time in office focussing on how to grow their public profiles so they could make a presidential run. Both were described by Texans as "a great guy"; neither impressed me as a governor.

And we all know what a fabulous prez George Bush made. Writer Molly Ivins called him "Shrub" and once said about him, "Everyone knows the man has no clue, but no one there has the courage to say it. I mean, good gawd, the man is as he always has been: barely adequate."

Fast forward to today: Rick Perry is slicker than goose poop, but routinely makes me wince. He's got great hair and little else.

Case in point, on Friday, the Texas governor did an interview with the Washington Examiner:

Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, told The Examiner in an exclusive interview that Amazon's decision to leave the state was a result of a wrong decision by the state comptroller, and that he will work with legislators to make sure Amazon
can stay.

This is my open letter to Governor Perry:
Dear Gov. Perry: PLEASE spend some time learning about an issue before immediately knee-jerking to what you believe is a "pro-business" stand.

Texas has a number of great bookstores. You'll be spitting in their eyes if you allow Amazon to avoid paying state taxes while forcing bricks-and-mortars stores to do so.

Amazon is hiding behind a tax dodge. They have created a subsidiary to operate the distribution center in Irving and claim that this means Amazon is not operating in the state. Give me a break.

PLEASE think twice and act once. Don't remind every Texan that you are the successor to George W. Bush.
And for everyone else. Please remember the name Rick Perry.

No comments: