Monday, January 16, 2006

Do We Need Our Broadband Service Tiered?

Okay, it's late enough that Craig Ferguson is nattering on the television. I haven't the faintest idea what the man is saying, but he does say it nicely :)

This is going to be a short blog. I've been a diligent writer today. Spent three hours this morning working on a manuscript (a contemporary eroromance novella without a name as yet). I'd like to finish it this week so that I can turn my attention back to the full-length romantic suspense I had been working on.

This afternoon and evening, I was a critiquing fool. I owe lots of critique time to the generous critique partners who recently worked on my full-length novel. So, I kept my nose to the grindstone today and critiqued a wonderful eroromance for a CP who is on a deadline.

Anyway, I don't know if you pay much attention to the legislation being proposed in the U.S. Congress. Occasionally, I'll cruise the Congressional website (a wonderful site, BTW) just to see what our lawmakers are up to. Recently, I realized that the telecom companies are trying to convince our legislature to create "tiers" of broadband service. Of course, the telecoms would own the "premium" service while everyone else would access the less choice tiers. I've been trying to learn more about this initiative.

So, imagine my delight in checking the blogs I like to read last night when I found that Mark Cuban had blogged on this subject yesterday (http://www.blogmaverick.com/). Interesting stuff. You ought to go over and read the blog entitled "Hey, Baby Bells and Cable, We Need Multiple Tiers of Service."

Because, you know, I'm interested in service delivery, I'll blog more on this subject in the coming days. For tonight, I'm going to crawl into my bed and continue reading Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat." Good stuff.

One last thought: I hope you enjoyed MLK Day today. And perhaps gave a minute or two to appreciate Dr. King's philosophy of non-violence. If everyone shared his philosophy, the world would be a better place.

Sleep tight.

No comments: