Sunday, February 11, 2007

Another Version of Dracula

I'm a huge fan of Dracula movies, especially the more modern versions that reflect the sensuous nature of the story.

John Badham's 1979 film starring Frank Langella was the first adaptation I'd seen that focussed more on the romance than the horror. However, my favorite is Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 version starring Gary Oldman. I was in graduate school at the time, working deep nights in the emergency room at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. I can still remember talking with the nurse and unit secretary about how sexy I thought Oldman was in that film.

I say all this because PBS is getting ready to launch yet another version of Dracula tonight on Masterpiece Theatre. Here's a bit from the blurb:

Seized with a powerful thirst, the Lord of the Undead stirs from his bed of Transylvanian dirt... Marc Warren (Band of Brothers) joins the ranks of the great screen Draculas with a performance as demonic as Bela Lugosi's (1931), as urbane as Christopher Lee's (1958), and as ominously sensual as Gary Oldman's (1992).

Guess what I'll be doing tonight?

No comments: