Monday, October 08, 2007

Heads Up

I mentioned in my post of September 25th here that I would like to participate in NaNoWriMo, but couldn't do it in November because of the upcoming holidays.

My critique partners and I are talking about doing our own version of NaNoWriMo from mid-October to mid-November.

We discussed it again this morning, and it looks like we're going to start on Wednesday, October 10th, and end on Thursday, November 8th.

That means we're making a commitment to write a 50,000-word novel in thirty days. That's 1,667 words a day or a little bit under seven pages a day (double spaced, 12-point font, with one-inch margins). The idea is to focus on output, rather than editing. The editing comes later.

For the past two weeks, I've been working on an outline so that I'm clear on the flow of events and conflicts. I'm hoping that having a roadmap will help me to turn off my internal editor.

If you're interested in joining us, start sharpening your pencils, filling the cupboards with food so that you won't have to waste time shopping and preparing your loved ones to get along without you for thirty days.

When the going gets tough, the tough get writing.

4 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I'd love to do this!

Part of me thinks that I shouldn't even dream of doing this. I am currently revising two novels, one MG/YA and the other for grown-ups, and the process just goes on and on. But I like the idea of learning how to produce something whole in a hurry -- instead of niggling over endless details and plot.

God, now I'm tempted...

Maya Reynolds said...

Mary: What have you got to lose?

Give it a try.

My anxiety level is extraordinarily high because I've done this before and remember how hard it was for me.

This time I think I'm better prepared to squash my internal editor.

At least I hope so.

Marie Tuhart said...

Mary,

I'm jumping in here. Some have used NaNo or BIAM (book in a month) to edit existing books. It gives them the jump start that they need to do x number of pages per day to have the book or books fully edited.

I have my work cut out for me because I'm gone on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks of our writing month. So I'm going to do as much as I can before I leave and after I come back. I know I'll get nothing done on vacation.

Marie

Maya Reynolds said...

Great point, Marie.

Someone wanting to edit could edit seven pages a day instead of writing seven pages a day.