Wednesday, November 03, 2010

A Great Hero Needs a Great Sidekick

I saw a question in Shelf Awareness: "What makes a good sidekick?" along with a sub-heading: "The Top Ten Sidekicks in Literature."

I decided to try and create my own list of ten sidekicks before reading the article. Here's what I came up with:

1) Sherlock Holmes and Watson

2) Robinson Crusoe and Friday

3) Hawkeye and Chingachgook

4) Don Quixote and Sancho

5) Prince Hal and Falstaff

6) Spenser and Hawk (I have a crush on Hawk)

7) Myron Bolitar and Windsor Horne Lockwood, III (I have a bigger crush on Win)

8) Batman and Robin (does a comic book count?)

9) The Green Hornet and Kato (ditto #8)

10) The Lone Ranger and Tonto (were they ever in a book?)

As you can see, I started out strong, but rapidly lost steam. Here's the list from the Flavorwire website here:

1) Dr. Watson (Sherlock Holmes)

2) Samwise Gamgee (Frodo)

3) Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter)

4) Lacey Rawklins (John Grady Cole)

5) Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer)

6) Sancho Panza (Don Quixote)

7) Horatio (Hamlet)

8) Dean Morarity (Sal Paradise)

9) Phineas (Gene Forrester)

10) Friday (Robinson Crusoe)

I was surprised that the two lists only had three sidekicks in common. I was seriously annoyed to have forgotten Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I wasn't impressed with #4 or #9 from Flavorwire's list, but then they probably wouldn't think very highly of my #8, #9 or #10 either.

Can you think of any famous sidekicks we missed?

4 comments:

Gina Black said...

Nancy Drew had two: George and Bess

Maya Reynolds said...

Gina: I actually thought of Nancy Drew, but couldn't remember George's name. I have no memory at all of Bess, which gives you a sense of my priorities :(

Thanks for commenting.

Karen McCullough said...

Nero Wolfe's sidekick Archie Goodwin.

Maya Reynolds said...

Karen: I completely missed that one despite the fact that I read a lot of mysteries. Thx.