I first heard the story on ABC on Friday morning. The Alaska State Troopers gave a special award on Friday to a five-year-old German shepherd named Buddy.
On the night of April 4, a 23-year-old named Ben Heinrichs was at home working on a car when a heater ignited the gasoline. His workshop exploded into flame. Ben escaped and rolled in the snow to put out the burns on his face and left hand. He then got up and went back to the workshop to free Buddy who was still inside.
According to a story in The Examiner, Ben said:
"I just told him, 'We need to get help,' and then that's the last time I seen him ... I didn't train him or nothing. He just took off and went and did what he did. ... He was just being a good dog."The rest of the story can be seen on State Trooper Terrence Shanigan's dashboard cam. The trooper had gotten a call about a fire, but was having difficulty locating the address. He saw Buddy trotting toward him. The dog looks at the trooper's car and suddenly breaks into a run. The trooper, paying attention to a hunch, follows the dog down the dark, winding roads. Buddy is credited with saving the family home. Click on the link below to see the video.
German Shepherd dog leads Alaska State Troopers to fire (Video)
Posted using ShareThis
"Lassie, Lassie, go get help!"
"What, Lassie? Timmy's stuck in a well? Take me there, girl."