Friday, February 10, 2006

Reality Sets In

Those of you who follow my blog know that I signed a contract with literary agent Jacky Sach last month.

The relationship has been a joy thus far. Jacky is a former editor, and she went through my manuscripts with a careful eye, offering great suggestions for changes. She emails me weekly with updates, questions and suggestions.

Yesterday's exchange scared the peawadding out of me. We had talked in the past about the possibility of a sequel to "Witch Vampire?" my full-length paranormal erotic romance. Now that we've finished the edits, she has begun to send the manuscript out. She prodded me yesterday, saying that any publisher who purchases the novel will want more of the same and that I needed to focus on that sequel.

While I have a vague idea of what I'd like to do in a second novel, the sequel hasn't been on my front burner. Let me tell you, our conversation yesterday changed that dynamic. I am very focussed right now.

I've always treated writing as a business, but this does change how I approach my daily worklife. I need to get that novel up and running very quickly.

The good news is that I have my characters already: Ric and Abby. I introduced them in the first book. What I need now is the plotline in which they will operate.

Sorry, Hallie and Miles, you'll have to wait a bit longer for your story to be told.

2 comments:

For The Trees said...

Whilst you're daydreaming about possible plots for Ric and Abby to dance with, you might take a moment to write down all the ones you'll discard as being "not right." I have this funny feeling that you're gonna need those "other plots" when you get around to your fifth or sixth sequel. This genre is so hot it's screaming for more writers, more novels, more tales "From Beyond..."

Get to it - and Godspeed!

Laurie Ashton Farook said...

Sounds like fun. :) Writing sequels can be easier in that you've already developed your setting and characters. Now you get to have more fun.