Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sunday Plans Gone Awry

My plan was to blog about Google Book Search and the pending lawsuit it faces from authors and publishers today but, like all good plans, it went awry.

Today was simply beautiful outside in north Texas--sunny, warm, spring-like. I gave in to temptation and visited Calloway's, my local nursery. Bought lavender bushes and alyssum. Also purchased catnip seeds, a decision I will probably live to regret.

Came home and spent a happy hour working in the garden and listening to NPR on my headset.

I'm saying all this to warn you that I've got a very bad case of spring fever. Right now, I have all my gardening books spread out on the floor and I'm planning my spring and summer beds. It's really hard to concentrate on Google and lawsuits when you're thinking of bergamot and patchouli. Yes, I love fragrant plants.

Since it IS Sunday, a day of rest, I'm cutting myself a break and promising that tomorrow I'll blog on Google. Tonight I'm offering up my picks for the Academy Awards, which will be given out next Sunday night.

Those of you who read this blog regularly will recall that, on 12/30, I gave my list for the films that I thought should have been nominated for best picture. Missed it by one. Capote was nominated instead of my choice, Match Point. I still think the Academy was wrong on that one.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are my choices--using the Academy's own list of categories. I won't bore you by reprinting my entire ballot:

Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote)
Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: George Clooney (Syriana)
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Felicity Huffman (Transamerica)
Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Amy Adams (Junebug)
Best Animated Feature Film: Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Achievement in Art Direction: King Kong
Achievement in Cinematography: The New World
Achievement in Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha
Achievement in Directing: Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain)
Best Documentary Feature: Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
Best Motion Picture: Crash

Go to: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/print.html and print off your own ballot. Then we can watch the awards show together next week and see how we did.

Later.

No comments: