Thursday, March 27, 2008

Do I Believe in Universal Health Care???

A subject that doesn't often come up among writers, but a very serious one nonetheless is the subject of health insurance.

If you're a single person who happens to be a free-lance writer, health insurance is a major concern.

When I left the full-time work force in 2002 to concentrate on writing (I wasted nearly a year in travel and play), I was covered by COBRA for eighteen months. For the three and a half years that followed, my BIGGEST problem was the crummy health insurance for which I was paying a small fortune.

Sixteen months ago, when I got notice of yet another rate increase, serendipity occurred. The phone rang, and the manager of a large department at a local university asked if I'd be interested in going to work for them. On another day, I might have said, "No," but on that day, I was holding a notice for an lousy insurance policy whose monthly payments would have purchased a luxury car. I agreed to the interview and have been back in the work force ever since. And I don't regret it.

I've been astounded at the level of comfort having a great health insurance policy brings. I don't put off my mammograms, I get routine check-ups and I no longer panick at the first sign of illness.

The New York Times addresses this issue today here.

3 comments:

Gina Black said...

I'm a married bread-winner, so I have to worry about it too. I'm also uninsurable, pretty much, because of a pre-existing condition. :sigh:

So, I'm going to have the writing/day job juggle for quite a while I"m afraid.

Heather Moore said...

There has to be a solution. I have an independent insurance for the very basics and it costs $660 a month. Then my dental is $140 a month, but hardly covers anything. I took the kids for checkups and came out with the insurance only picking up $80 total. I figured I would have saved $700 in the last 6 months if I had no dental insurance and paid the bills outright.

The Anti-Wife said...

It's a nasty problem and one that keeps people from obtaining the care necessary - especially the preventive care. I recommend people look into groups they belong to that might have group coverage they could purchase. Costco in Washington has a plan for its members. There are some options out there. You have to think creatively to find them.