Friday, August 18, 2006

Hey, Google, Lighten Up!

I'm posting early today because my day's true goal is to go see "Snakes On a Plane."

Yes, I admit it. I'm a Bad movie junkie. And that's "Bad" with a capital B: movies so bad that they're good. I'm also a serious Samuel L. Jackson fan. His 1996 film with Geena Davis, "The Long Kiss Goodnight," remains on my list of favorite action movies of all time.

It took three phone calls before I found a friend willing to skip work this afternoon to join me. Some people just don't have their priorities straight.

Back to business.

For as long as I can remember, my mother has referred to her refrigerator as the frigidaire, even though her current model is a GE. My family talks about xeroxing when we need a photocopy. And, when we need to do an Internet search, we google.

On Wednesday, I read on CNET News that Google says "it intends to crack down on the use of its name as a generic verb, in phrases such as 'to google someone.'" Apparently the company is concerned that such phrases are "potentially damaging to its brand."

While, intellectually, I can understand Google's desire to control use of its name, I have a completely different emotional reaction: Hey, Google, get over yourself!

Up until this time, Google has done a remarkable job of presenting an image to the world of a scrappy little upstart company with the corporate mission of "do no evil." That's no small accomplishment when you consider that, in eight years, the company has grown to become an Internet giant, its name synonymous with "search engine."

The company has certainly expanded beyond a mere search engine. The CNET article quotes a linguistics professor saying that, "maybe they're reluctant for their brand name to be restricted in this way."

That may very well be. However, I believe that what Google will gain in recognition of the true scope of its endeavors will be far outweighed by the negative response to its behaving like a Name Nazi by going after unapproved uses of the corporate brand. One blogger called it "one of the worst PR moves in history." (CNET) While that may be a bit over-the-top, I agree that Eric Schmidt (CEO), Larry Page and Sergey Brin (co-founders) need to have a serious talk with the fools heralding this public relations move. Surely--somewhere in that big Mountain View complex--there are more important matters that need attention.

Off to play. Have fun while I'm gone.

2 comments:

BabyBlogger said...

Google is trippin'!

I haven't seen SOAP and don't intend to (even though I'm a Sam Jackson fan), but I enjoyed your honest review of the movie.

Great blog!

Maya Reynolds said...

Thanks, Emjay and Baby, for your comments.