Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What No One Ever Tells You

Think back to when you were twelve years old. If you were like me, you couldn't wait to be sixteen because then you'd have your license, and you'd be able to drive yourself wherever you wanted to go.

Of course, when I was sixteen, I couldn't wait to be eighteen because then I'd be a legal adult, and I could do whatever I wanted without anyone telling me what to do.

Then I turned eighteen. Suddenly, my only goal in life was to graduate from college because, of course, then I'd be able to start my "real" life.

What I'm saying is that to be human is to have goals and to always reach for what you don't have.

I was thinking about that today, in relation to my career as a writer. When I was first getting started, I thought if I could just sell a short story, I'd be happy.

When I sold my first short story, I thought if I could only finish a full-length manuscript, I'd be on my way.

After I finished that first manuscript, I started hoping for an agent.

Once I had my agent, I prayed that she'd sell my manuscript.

Of course, now that my first book has sold, I'm already looking ahead to building a readership. They say you have to publish at least a half dozen books before you can count on having name recognition.

The whole point of this post is that there's always one more thing to learn or to experience. The journey never ends; it just stretches out ahead of you--one new milestone after another.

I'm waxing philosophic as I review my proposal for Book Two and the suggestions my editor had for changing it.

Yup, just another opportunity to be dragged kicking and screaming toward growth :)

No comments: