Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Falling Star (Jones)

Usually I try to use this blog to talk about writing or subjects that touch on the publishing industry. However, since this is a holiday weekend, I'm going to spend the time talking about whatever strikes my fancy.

Today that means Star Jones and The View.

My experience of The View is limited to a specific three-year-period from mid-2002 to mid-2005. During that time frame, I watched the show most mornings. I loved Meredith Vieira's honesty and Joy Behar's sharp tongue.

While I recognized Star's narcissism, that "me-me" focus was more than outweighed by her enthusiasm, astute comments and good heart. I admired the dignity with which she handled the really nasty late-night jokes about her weight. I liked her far more than I did Barbara Walters' oily obsequiousness or Elisabeth Hasselbeck's knee-jerk responses as a self-appointed Bush cheerleader.

That changed for me with the approach of Star's wedding in November, 2004. I watched with dismay as she transformed from an articulate attorney into an unrelenting Bridezilla. I was frankly disgusted by the poor taste, unrestrained excesses and the poor judgment she displayed in turning a sacred moment into a commercial spectacle.

In my opinion, ABC made a crucial error in 2004 in devoting so much time to segments on wedding planning during the period leading up to Star's nuptials. Initially, I was disappointed; then, irritated. More and more frequently, I began switching over to the radio to listen to the Diane Rehm show on NPR instead of watching The View. I simply fell out of The View habit.

Apparently, I was not alone. ABC acknowledged this week that Star's credibility with viewers plunged dramatically during this period. They gave that as the reason for not renewing Star's contract.

I'm amused that ABC did not anticipate that Star would plan to handle her departure "her way." I suspect they were lulled into complacency by her usual professionalism. They should have remembered that Star has demonstrated a consistent pattern of poor judgment when it comes to dealing with more personal issues. That poor judgment was in evidence again when Star shot back at Barbara Walters after the show's creator announced she would not be back.

Toward the end of this week, however, Star had begun to display the business acumen I associate with her. On Friday, she said, "I think I used, and some would say abused, my celebrity in planning the wedding." According to a Reuters' story, "If she had it to do over again, Reynolds added, 'I would be more humble.'"

That's certainly a good start.

I hope to see Star recover her footing and move on to success once again. If she can curb her narcissism, I believe she can do it. If not, she will be reduced to a permanent late-night joke.

No comments: