Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Manga, Manga, Manga, Part II

Two days ago, I started to recount the history of manga.

This exercise is not as purposeless as it might first appear. I'm working my way up to try to understand a question that interests me: why is male homoerotic manga so popular among teenage and young adult women?

Assuming these young women are heterosexual (or will be if they are not yet sexually active), one would think they'd be more interested in heterosexual romance stories. Yet the popularity of male homoerotic manga cannot be denied. What's that about?

I write erotic romance, not homoerotic fiction. Erotic romance intended to be read by adults. While I don't write homoerotic fiction, I have nothing against it as long as it is written by adults for adults.

I spent a good portion of my professional career working in the behavioral health field. I'm intrigued by this phenomenon and would like to understand it. I welcome any serious comments or thoughts on the subject. My email address is: mayareynoldswriter@ sbcglobal. net.

I have a couple of working hypotheses, but I'd be interested to hear from others.

No comments: