Sunday, July 09, 2006

Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques,

It's a beautiful Sunday in north Texas, and I'm anxious to get outside to enjoy it. Since it's the weekend, I'm going to save the next writing/publishing post for Monday and share a bit of personal news today.

My household has a new member. A very muscular, very handsome black male named Jacques.

Last winter, I noticed a stray German shepherd running my neighborhood. He didn't have a collar and had obviously been abused because he would not allow anyone near him. I saw him most often very early in the morning or very late at night, heading toward the creek that runs northwest of my house. That creek attracts all sorts of wildlife from coyote to fox.

Over the months--especially since February--the dog developed a habit of passing my house between 4:00 and 5:00 in the morning. I often wake up early to write and would occasionally see him when I was outside activating my sprinklers. I could tell that he was growing steadily thinner and thinner.

Last month, I saw him trying to catch beetles to eat. I couldn't stand it any longer. I purchased smelly wet dogfood and started setting the alarm to get up early to leave a dish out for him on the edge of my property.

It was a long, slow process. At first, he would not approach the food if I was outside. Then he would gradually tolerate my presence as long as I was far enough away.

Once he got in the habit of waiting outside my property for breakfast, I began to change the rules. Every couple of days, I shifted the time breakfast was served fifteen minutes later, and I started to move the dish toward my backyard gate. He learned to enter the backyard, but would still not permit me to approach him.

Recently he showed up in the company of another dog. That dog ran up to me to be petted and, to my surprise, the shepherd came up alongside me. He would not let me touch him, but came within two feet to sniff at my extended fingers.

Until that morning, I'd resisted giving the shepherd a name--not wanting to let either one of us think I was doing any more than lending a helping hand to a stranger in need. That day, I called the other dog Frere (French for brother) and the shepherd Jacques.

That morning was a major breakthrough for both of us--an acknowledgement of the inevitable. Jacques soon let me pet him and began approaching me willingly. He also started showing up at the house at times other than breakfast. I began to feed him twice a day, reducing the wet food and adding the healthier kibble.

It hasn't been easy. The first time I shut my backyard gate closing him in, he immediately jumped over the hurricane fence to get out. Recognizing I was moving too fast, I started to leave the gate open all the time so he could come in and out at will without any added pressure.

Last week for the first time he let me put a collar on him, and I took him for a walk on a leash. He is clearly untrained and does not recognize any commands, but he's a quick learner. I started closing the gate again. He began staying in the yard for longer and longer periods (still jumping the fence to get in and out). Friday, we had another big breakthrough. He arrived at 7:00 AM and stayed until 10:30 PM without leaving my yard. When he returned at 4:00 AM, he put his paws on my bedroom window and huffed a greeting: "I'm back."

Since 4:00 yesterday morning, he has not left my yard without me to accompany him.

Getting him into my car for the first time on Friday was a battle. He WOULD NOT jump in. I finally picked his front paws up and put them on the carseat, then picked up his back legs and slung him in. He did a half somersault, but didn't object--once I climbed in after him. We went to visit my vet, Timm, who is one of my favorite people.

Timm said Jacques is pure German shepherd, about two years old and weighs 68 pounds. The dog is still ten to fifteen pounds underweight. He was heartworm negative (thank you, Jesus!). He now has rabies tags, and we're working on his flea issues. Jacques also fell in love with my car. I cannot get in it now without him asking to go along.

He is a delight. Solid black except for brown feet and brown eyebrows, he's a beautiful animal. Although he is still cautious around strangers, he has completely accepted me. When Timm offered him a treat to eat, he refused to take it. Timm gave it to me and said, "You try." Jacques immediately accepted it from my hand.

He is supremely confident around other dogs. At the vet's, dogs lunged at him and growled threateningly. He completely ignored them, but in an assured way as if he had no need to acknowledge lesser beings. A puppy whined, and Jacques tugged on his leash to allow him to lean over and lick its head.

We do have one serious issue. He chases things that move: cars, squirrels, CATS. Until he can learn to behave around my two cats, he cannot enter my house. As I've said, he's a quick learner, and he's VERY anxious to be with me inside. I suspect that, if he has to declare a truce with Tribble and Bob to get inside, he'll do it.

I didn't want a dog right now. I certainly didn't want a behemoth like Jacques. However, I firmly believe that God gives us what we need. It's clear that Jacques needed me. And maybe--even if I didn't know it--I needed Jacques.

3 comments:

Maya Reynolds said...

Thanks, Emjay. I'm not quite as panicked at the thought as I was a week ago.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Maya, you're a good, sweet person. Jacques is one lucky dog!!

Maya Reynolds said...

Sherrill: Thanks. As I said, I'm just accepting the inevitable.