Thursday, March 29, 2007

Three Shots That Make My Heart Melt

I'm supposed to be reading and judging entries in an erotic romance contest for a RWA chapter. So, of course, I'm looking for something else to do.

Because it's Wednesday night, and my weekly addiction is about to kick in, I'm going to make a confession. I'm revealing it here because, until now, I've kept this secret from the people in my life. And they never read this blog :)

I LOVE to watch the opening credits of CSI New York on Wednesday nights. I rarely watch the show, but I almost always flip the opening credits on.

My reasons: While I like the theme song, Baba O'Reilly, by the Who (some people call it Teenage Wasteland), I LOVE the opening shot of the third billed actor, Carmine Giovinazzo, who plays Danny. His smile just makes me melt.

Don't get me wrong. I think Gary Sinise, the star of CSI New York is just fine, but Carmine's smile does me in . . . every time.

If you'd like to see a glimpse of that smile, it appears between seconds 17 and 18 here.

I can only remember two other "first shots" of actors that have the same effect on me: One is the first time you see Dennis Quaid as Det. Remy McSwain in the 1987 movie The Big Easy.

If you've never seen the movie, it's a very sexy thriller. Ellen Barkin is a D.A. investigating corruption on the New Orleans police force. Someone suggests she talk to Det. McSwain and calls out, "Remy!" Dennis Quaid turns with a smile, and I become a puddle of goo.

I couldn't find a clip of that first shot, but I did track down the trailer for The Big Easy. It has to be the longest trailer in movie history. You can find it here.

Bit of trivia: The Big Easy was the first film ever sold at Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival.

Although I am a committed hetero, I can appreciate beauty in a woman. Right now, Angelina Jolie is probably the actress whose looks I most admire. However, my all-time favorite opening shot of a female is of Rita Hayworth in the 1946 movie, Gilda.

I know. I know. I wasn't even born then. But I love old movies. In this film, Hayworth's hair almost deserves its own billing. She flings it around like a lethal weapon. In the scene I'm talking about, Glenn Ford enters her bedroom, and the camera shifts focus. She is bending over. When she straightens, she flings her hair over her head and smiles.

You can see that shot on YouTube here.

I'm easily diverted, I know. Especially when I should be doing something else.

No comments: