Tuesday, December 25, 2007

For unto us a Child is born

For the past week, I've slept something like eighteen hours a day. Yesterday was the first day that I managed to get by with just a two-hour nap.

For most of the day, I played sacred music while writing or reading. I stopped what I was working on to listen to Handel's Messiah. It is truly one of the most inspiring pieces of music in Western civilization.

George Frideric Handel borrowed heavily from the Bible for his three-part oratorio celebrating the birth and Passion of Christ and the promise of redemption that He offered the world.

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given:
And the government shall be upon His shoulder:
And His name shall be called Wonderful,
Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father,
The Prince of Peace.

The libretto for the famous Hallelujah Chorus comes from Revelations. George II of Great Britain stood during the Hallelujah Chorus. Tradition has it that he stood as a sign of respect for the King of Kings. Because he stood, the rest of the audience followed suit, beginning a custom for audiences everywhere.

I went looking for a copy of the Hallelujah Chorus as my gift to you today.

I hope you and yours will enjoy this day. If you are not a Christian, I hope you may enjoy the day as one in which you are offered the hand of peace and friendship. One need not be a Christian to appreciate the Hallelujah Chorus.



May the Maker of us all grant you warmth, peace and love.

No comments: