Saturday, January 19, 2008

Oh, Frabjous Day

I'm wearing my Sony S2 walkman yesterday afternoon and listening to the news when I hear a commercial for the network debut of Dexter, the Showtime hit cable show about a serial killer who works for the Miami Police Department. The commercial said the show's first season would begin airing on CBS in February.

I've talked about Dexter on this blog before. Go here for my first post. I fought reading the debut novel for months. The first page was a cliche and the author's penchant for alliteration made my teeth hurt.

When I finally broke down and bought the first book, it took fifteen pages to convert me into a fan. The book had the same sly, dark humor that makes me love the Coen Brother films.

The series by Jeff Lindsay now has three books: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter and the most recent, Dexter in the Dark.

When Showtime began running a cable series based on the books, I convinced one of my brothers to tape it and mail it to me each month.

After hearing the commercial yesterday, I googled it. Here's what EW.com had to say:

In a significant move designed to further strike-proof its schedule, CBS will begin airing repeats of Showtime's cult hit fave Dexter on Feb. 17. The show just wrapped its second season on the CBS-owned premium cable network. The Eye says it will edit the first season of the series -- a graphic drama starring Michael C. Hall . . . as a forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer -- for broadcast at 10 p.m. Sundays. By opting to air 12 episodes of Dexter, CBS will become the first broadcast network to program an entire season of a premium cable series.

Oh, frabjous day!!!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Maya: Happy belated New Year and best of luck on the voting over at P&E! I've tagged you to share six random things about yourself. I hope you have fun with it. C

Essence Writes said...

Maya:

I too love Dexter and I'm worried about the tone the show will take now that it will be aired by CBS.

I hope the show stays true to what it has been thus far.

Essence
The Change
coming soon-Loose Id