Friday, January 11, 2008

The Queen Speaks

One of the things I admire most about Nora Roberts, the Queen of Romance, is her honesty. She never equivocates and, when asked, she gives her unvarnished opinion.

Asked about the Cassie Edwards controversy, Queen Nora told the Associated Press (AP):

"Given the side-by-side comparisons I've read, it seems clear Ms. Edwards copied considerable portions of previously published work and used them in her books without attribution to the original source," Roberts wrote in an e-mail to the AP. "By my definition, copying another's work and passing it as your own equals plagiarism. As a writer, a reader and a victim of plagiarism, I feel very strongly on this issue. I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see it as fair use, or fair anything when one writer takes another's work."

The AP followed Nora's comment with: "Both Roberts and Edwards are published by Penguin Group (USA), which on Wednesday defended Edwards, saying: "She has done nothing wrong."

No comments: