Thursday, January 17, 2008

Warning: Major Whine

There's a great site online called Rules of Thumb. It collects rules of thumb and publishes them in categories. Find it here.

I'm thinking about sending them a suggested rule of thumb: No cast should be worn more than three weeks because, at that point, its smell and general unattractiveness outweighs the therapeutic value.

I'm supposed to wear the cast on my left forearm and hand until the end of the month. I've made an appointment on Monday to have it removed. If the surgeon wants me to wear one until January 31st, he's going to have to put a fresh one on.

I waste minutes every morning scrubbing the damn thing with an old toothbrush. The windchill is in the teens today, but I can't get my coat on over it--OR MY GLOVES. I wake up in the night with the cat licking it. I don't think of myself as fastidious, but this thing is just gross.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a lousy patient. But it's been more than two months since I've seen my left hand. I miss it.

Whine over.

3 comments:

The Anti-Wife said...

There, there dear! Just be patient and the doctor will give you a lollipop - cheese flavored to go with your whine.

There's nothing more frustrating than being incapacitated - even a little - especially when you're a strong independent woman. Just remember it's only 2 more weeks - a tiny slice of your life and if you don't let it heal properly and completely it could be even longer than that.

Mike Keyton said...

Stick with that toothbrush a while longer. The image makes it all worthwhile...at least for those not wearing your mouldering cast. Just get worried when you find yourself flossing it.
Mike.

Maya Reynolds said...

AW and Mike: [grin] I knew someone would call me on my whine.

I'll wear a cast until the end of the month. Just not THIS cast.

I took a lot of grief yesterday over that post. One friend pointed out that I routinely talk about sending the cats under the bed to move the dust around, but here I'm cleaning the cast with a toothbrush.

What can I say?