Friday, September 07, 2007

Can You Write a Story in Six Words Or Less?

A friend posted a notice on a writers' loop. Route 66, a new print magazine, is looking for short stories of exactly 66 words in length for their premiere issue. The link is here.

That notice reminded me of an incident from Ernest Hemingway's life that I thought I'd share.

Hemingway once accepted a bar bet for $10 after companions wagered he couldn't write a short story in six words or less.

Hemingway's response?

"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

Hemingway won the bet.

3 comments:

Tena Russ said...

"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

Flash fiction at its finest.

poetica in silentium said...

I'd lose the bet. My kids say that my gift is the ability to synthesize any 10 word idea or concept down into 1,000 words or more.

Stephen Parrish said...

I like what Blaise Pascal once wrote in a letter: I have made this longer because I have not had the time to make it shorter.