Saturday, September 01, 2007

Monster Spider Web in Texas

I'm feeling vindicated--and creeped out--here.

Do you remember my post three weeks ago today here, complaining about the proliferation of spider webs in my part of Texas?

This week, a mower cutting the grass at Lake Tawakoni State Park about seventy miles east of where I live came across a giant spider web.

The web, which is 200 yards--that's the size of two football fields--covers a nature trail, trees and bushes.

According to the Fort Worth Star Telegram, "There have been heated Internet discussions among experts whether the web was constructed by social cobweb spiders, which work together, or is perhaps a mass dispersal in which the arachnids spin webs to spread out from one another."

All I know is that, for the past month, I have gotten facefuls of spider webs every time I set foot into my back yard.

After seeing that report, I'm considering changed my usual laissez faire approach toward the spiders in my own yard. I'm thinking about breaking up all the webs I can see hanging from my giant oak trees.

This is too Friday the 13th for me.

Below is a CNN photographer's preliminary photos of the web at Lake Tawakoni. The audio is obviously pre-broadcast, and it loops and repeats itself after the first minute, but the video gives you a good look at the web. When the counter gets to 2:55, there is a perfect picture of the type of spider I have in my backyard.

3 comments:

Jeanne Laws said...

When I was little, my mom read me everything from "Charlotte's Web" to "Be Nice To Spiders" in an attempt to cure me of my arachnophobia.

Didn't work.

That video is creepy!

J

Tena Russ said...

I happen to like spiders. I even posted something on my blog about a special spider who lived in our kitchen for a period of time. (July post "Who Spoiled my Dogs?")

Cheers,
Tena

poetica in silentium said...

They pulled the video. s'ok. I have this theory that the only good spider is a dead spider anyway. I did see the story on TV however, or at least a story.